| 1. Water must be added to The Tug to be effective and to minimize risk of injury |
- Less water less weight, more water more weight. One gallon of water weights 8.3 pounds. The TUG has a capacity to hold up to 20 gallons which will increase its weight to 180 pounds. Weight should be adjusted according to the size of the participant and the activity.
2. Use The Tugger as the ultimate apparatus for TUG OF WAR competition.
- Only one Winner and one Loser - Use for one-on-one competitions
- Timed Reps - Use as a strength and conditioning application
3. Overhead Drills -athletes can capture the inertia of water as they hoist The Tug overhead. The movement of the water in the tug actually becomes part of the training for better balance, weight control, etc. (NOTE: Make sure the "dome" side of the TUG is on top.)
- Suggested Drills: Lunges, Squats, Duckwalks, Balance board or balance bubble, etc.
4. Strength Training
- Upright Row
- Behind the Neck Press
- Bench Press
- Tricep Work
5. Weight Sled - Harness the Tug through the handles, with the flat side down. Uniqueness of TUG... No runners to restrict movement and No Center post to have to stack weights on. (NOTE: Make sure the "dome" side of the TUG is on top and flat side is down.)
- Karaoke Drills (harness up w/ flat side down thru handles)
- Crab Push - Put your athlete in a 4 point crab position and have them put their hands directly on top of the tug and push the tug from this crab position.
- Ideal for Hockey to build starting explosiveness. Attach belt harness to handles on each side. Have a skater on each side, one to pull and one trailing to slow Tug at the conclusion of the pull. At end of pull, each skater rotates belt around waist, reverses direction and starts again in opposite direction to repeat drill.
6. Flip it - This drill is designed to create explosiveness and take the place of OLD TRACTOR TIRES.
7. Anchor - Fill the TUG completely full of water. It will now weigh over 180 pounds.
- Individual Sit-ups - Anchor feet in handles
- Medicine ball Drills - Two people can face each other with feet inside TUG handles and toss Medicine balls back in forth
- Leg Lifts, Flutter Kicks, etc. - Any kind of main abdominal work (Use your arms to anchor your body so you can do leg lifts, etc.)
8. Safety – Athletes participating in any tug of war activity should never let go of The Tug. Athletes should hold The Tug with their hands and never put their arms through the handles. Use only water to increase weight; never add sand.